Special Report Nigerian
News

Custom Search
 
Saturday Correspondent Report
Report by NNEWS Correspondent

 

Relatedly, a 28-year-old graduate, Rekiyatu Bello, has pleaded with an Oshodi Grade `B` Customary Court in Lagos to dissolve her four-year-old marriage, to enable her new husband to marry her properly.

Teenage mother strangles 3 week-old baby to death in A/Ibom

 

A nineteen year-old single mother, Nsidible Effiong, from Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom, has allegedly strangled her three week old baby to death.

The suspect, who claimed that the father of the baby had abandoned her, tied the baby with towel and dumped the little girl in a pit toilet.

Parading the suspect in Uyo on Friday, the Assistant Commission of Police in Charge of Criminal Investigation Department, Donald Awunah, said that the suspect was arrested on Jan. 30.

Mr. Awunah attributed the arrest of the suspect to intelligence gathering involving active police- community relations, adding that the suspect would be charged to court at the end of the investigations.End

I was under a spell when I married my husband,'' wife tells court

Relatedly, a 28-year-old graduate, Rekiyatu Bello, has pleaded with an Oshodi Grade `B` Customary Court in Lagos to dissolve her four-year-old marriage, to enable her new husband to marry her properly.

The petitioner, Rekiyatu, who resides at 40, Banjoko St., Oshodi, Lagos had filed a suit in the court seeking the dissolution of her union with Murphy Bello.

Rekiyatu alleged that Murphy was irresponsible, a womanizer and also fetish.

``Before I married my husband, I knew he was a married man and I bluntly refused his advances initially. But later, I found myself falling in love with him.

``Even my parents and relations were worried for me because my mother was telling me that my relationship with him was not ordinary, that I was under a spell,`` the petitioner told the court.

Rekiyatu said she parked out of her matrimonial home when she noticed some red, fetish clothes and clay pots in their home.

She also alleged that since she put to bed, her husband had never cared about the baby`s welfare as he had abandoned the home.

``I have seen another man that I want to marry, but he wants me to dissolve my first marriage. That is why I have filed for divorce,’’ she added.

She said the marriage had been blessed with a four-year-old girl.

Rekiyata’s husband was, however, not present in court.

The court president, Alhaji A.I. Olorunimbe, ordered the bailiff to serve her husband with another summons, to enable him to appear in court.

Olorunimbe then adjourned the case till Feb. 27 for further hearing.End

45-yr old artisan kills lover, remanded in prison.

In a related development, a 45-year-old artisan, Adeola Agbonui, who allegedly killed his lover, was on Friday in Lagos remanded in prison.

An Ebute Meta Magistrates' Court ordered that the accused should be remanded in Ikoyi prisons, pending advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

Magistrate M.O. Olubi said the court had no jurisdiction to try the case and referred it to the DPP for advice.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. Sam Omoyeni, said the accused had on Jan. 7 beaten 34-year-old Martha Farinmade to death.

He said the accused killed the live-in lover at 32, Awoyokun St., Onipanu, over alleged adulterous act.
``The accused acted on a tip-off by his friend that the woman was having fun with another man somewhere.

``After the incident, the accused returned home and gave the deceased the beating of her life,’’ Omoyeni told the court.

He said the offence was punishable under Section 221 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Lagos State 2011.
The case has been adjourned to March 21.

Nations Cup 2012: President Sata wants huge motivation for Chipolopolo of Zambia

Zambian President Michael Sata has called on the corporate world to motivate the Zambian National football team ahead of this weekend’s Cup of Nations 2012 final match against Cote d'Ivoire.

Sata on Thursday conveyed his plea and the nation’s gratitude to the Zambian players for their remarkable achievement in qualifying for the final after beating Ghana 1-0 in Wednesday's semi-final match at Bata, Equatorial Guinea.

In his message to the team, Sata said the team rose to the challenge at a critical stage to eliminate one of the finest teams in Africa, Ghana, whose historical stature was bigger than Zambia having won the tournament four times.

``But that rich history did not cow you into submission. Instead it added to your resolve to write a different chapter on African football.

``On behalf of all Zambians, I wish to congratulate you on this breath-taking feat. You are the pride of our beloved country,” the President said in a statement issued on Thursday by his special assistant for press and public relations, George Chellah.

Sata said: ``I am cognisant of the fact that this is the first time in 18 years that we are reaching the final and only the third in the history of the tournament.

``We lost 1-2 to Nigeria in 1994 and 0-2 in the twice played final of 1974 against Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo), when Zambia competed for the first time.’’

He said the quality of football the team played defined the true character and spirit of the Zambian people, who always strive to be winners.

``As you go into the final, I urge you to fight for the nation in getting rid of the pain of losing your gallant colleagues who perished off the coast of Gabon in 1993.

``Continue with your hard work, dedication and determination to the job at hand,’’ the President said.
The president adds: ``You stand at a very emotional point with your eyes firmly fixed on the title. And the nation believes in your collective ability and shares your desires and aspirations’’.

Zambia will play against the Ivorian Elephants in Sunday’s final, the first time the teams are meeting at this stage of the tournament.

Zambia beat Cote d'Ivoire 1-0 in the quarter-finals of the 1994 edition; two years after the West Africans had won their first and only title

1. Septuagenarian advices FG to take over ancient slave chains to end ownership tussle

A Septuagenarian, Senata Abbas, has advised the Federal Government to take over the ancient slave chains in Badagry to end the rift between two families claiming ownership of the relics.

The ownership tussle is between the families of the late Chief Subu Mobee and the late Chief Abbas Williams.

Mobee was an indigene of Badagry while Abbas hailed from Offa in Kwara but lived in Badagry for decades.

Abass descendants are still living in the ancient town.

Senata, .a granddaughter of the late Abbas and a retired employee of the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria, however, advised government not to take away the relics from Badagry.

She said that the relics should not be taken to the National Museums and Monument, Onikan, Lagos because of the long distance from Badagry where slave trade took place actively.

Senata said that the chains belonged to his grandfather who she claimed moved them to Mobee’s compound when the building housing the chains were pulled down.

She said that she assisted in moving the chains.

“My father, Chief Abbas Williams was the Seriki (leader) of Muslims in Badagry then.

``As a Muslim leader, he did not want to be seen as a worshipper of the god of iron,” she said.
Senata said that she transferred the chains with the help of three others.

She added that her father gave money to a woman she identified as Mama Eleja to buy oil and rub on the chains to protect them against corrosion.

The woman said that the Abass family did not reclaim the chains because it listened to the advice of one Mr. Oyegoke Abbas whose mother hailed from the Mobee family.

However, the Mobee family is also claiming that it was the rightful owner of the chains which included those of the hand, ankle and neck.

The relics are at present preserved in the Slave Relics Museum in the compound of the Mobees in Badagry.

It is recalled that the storey building that was housing the chains was built for the late Williams by the Brazilian slave dealers in 1847

  Unique visitors: 890

 
 

Disclaimer
The Views and Opinions expressed herein are those of the individual writers not those of NigerianNews. All facts and their accuracies are the responsibilities of the authors. Please also note that some authors may use pseudo names or generic emails, to which NigerianNews has no way of verifying. Therefore an author's identity should not be inferred on the basis of name, subject matter, or any other characterization presented here. NigerianNews is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

 
 

Privacy Policy